Saturday, March 22, 2014

BATHROOM MAKEOVER



We've been in our home for just  a wee bit over 6 years now and I've never bothered to give the bathroom any loving redo's.  Even though I have painted some other rooms 2 or 3 times over, I guess I always thought the bathroom colours were fairly tolerable ...with the exception of the cheapo, most cheapest faucet in all the land, I just couldn't stand it anymore and all its grime. 

OLD BATHROOM


The taps that started it all
So we were at Lowes one day and taps were on sale, so we finally took the plunge and bought a new one.  Hubby put them in - which seemed like a grueling task all on its own and I am very grateful not to have had to do that part.  But now with these beautiful taps and all their shinny newity, it just got the ball rolling and the rest of the bathroom just HAD to be done. 

Putting up the beadboard


Daddy's little helper












With the exception of the taps, a couple cans of paint and that awesome rope that I got a big ol' discount on from Home Hardware, I didn't really need to purchase much of anything.  Most of the items I had on hand that were used in             various other areas of the house.


BEFORE & AFTER


I built and added this shelf above the toilet to hold extra towels.  For extra support I added two L brackets attached to both the shelf & wall which are hidden behind the towels.

Some nautical photos I took last year when we to see the tall ships.


Boat shelf found at Winners for $7.00 is a great place for body creams.

$6.00 find at Winners - Love it!
$3.00 at Winners a few years ago.
An old clock that I thought needed a little rope for a more nautical feel.



When we first bought this house every room only seemed to have the very bare essentials ie; no towel bars, no toilet paper holder and no bathroom storage. So I purchased a couple of  small wood shelf cabinets from Sears Clearance to hold bathroom odds & ends.  They looked pretty good in the beginning and did the job, but after a few years the brown paint started chipping off, so I decided to sand them both down and give them a couple licks of paint in the same creamy white colour I used on the beadboard.  So far they look pretty good and the colour blends in much nicer with the walls.  



This drawer table was purchased from Sears clearance many years ago when we first moved into the house.  I sanded it down and gave a couple licks of paint the same white colour as the beadboard.



An old used paddle I bought at garage sale for a dollar or two.  I painted it up and thought it made a cute sign pointing towards the direction of our beach.
  
It's still a work in progress.  A real life-size family of 5 vanity to be eventually purchased to replace the Barbie size one that is in there now.  New flooring is on the list as well, hardwood flooring and of course the shower is a scary, hidden secret not to be shared at all,  but for now the rest of the 'privy' looks a little more loved with a coastal-cottagy look to it. 

2 comments:

Tammy said...

great job Kaiti, love the new colours.

Unknown said...

Thanks Tammy!