Wednesday, February 26, 2014

BATHROOM SIGNAGE



I hummed and hawed for the longest time what to write on my bathroom sign, so for the longest time it just hung there empty.  No one ever asked about it, why I had a blank sign hanging in the hallway outside my bathroom door which kind of puzzled me, but anyway I finally took a stab at it today.


 


  I can't say that I'm completely satisfied with it, but I'm picky that way, however, for my first try it's not too bad.  Besides I still have the other side to tinker around with a different more fun approach.

Here's how it all unfolded;

I picked up this great plant hanger for about $6. on clearance at Lowes last September.

The wood slab I got from Michaels, but if your brave enough with a chainsaw, I'm sure you could cut your own slices - probably many!

The black chain & eye hooks I had on hand, although I did have to spay paint the eye hooks black as they were a chrome colour to start with.  
The botttom of a good ol' Timmys coffee came in handy for that!

The Letters are vinyl sticky ones I got at Michaels as well.  I stuck them on and peeled them off several times until I was semi-satisfied with the look I wanted.

Then I traced the outline of the letters with a pencil, peeled them off and carefully coloured them in with a black Sharpie!


I let the Sharpie letters dry & soak into the wood for about 30 mins so they wouldn't smudge.  Then I dabbed on some Minwax Polyshade in a Traditional Oak colour.  I dabbed & very gently rubbed the Stain in, so as to not disturb the marker, I was afraid it might bleed & smudge somewhat.   I only did one coat since I achieved the colour I wanted.

Minwax® PolyShades®
AND TADAAA... FINITO!  

The great part is I still have a blank canvas on the other side of the board to do a completely different look with. Hmmmm, the possibilities are endless  The Loo, The Privey, Bath, Le Bain ....and on and on and on.

No comments: