Thursday, October 11, 2012

HALL LIGHT TRANSFORMATION



For years our front hall light fixture drove me crazy.  It was so tiny and so high up and gave off very little light.  Changing the light bulb was a death defying balancing act in itself. 


I searched and searched for a another and found several new ones that I loved, but were completely out of our budget.  So I  found this one on Kijiji which I hummed and hawed about for a while, but if you've ever bought anything off of Kijiji you know you don't have long to hum and haw before someone else comes along and scoops it up.  This one was listed for $75.00 and was called an "antique", but when we went to see it, it was definitely not an antique in fact it was only about 7 years old and was the colour of baby poop!  The lady said she paid well over $700.00 for it new from Prima Lighting in Woodbridge.  I hated the colour and wasn't fussy about the shades so with some transformation thoughts in mind I offered her $50.00 and a way we went home with it.

 And this is what took place once we got it home.  I took it apart somewhat and spray painted it a few times with a can of Krylon Dual Paint + Primer in flat black hoping to achive that wrought iron antiquey kind of look. 
Ta Da... the paint looks great, but not so much the glass shades.

The next challange was actually getting it a waaaay up there, so it sat in the hall on the floor for several weeks because someone in our house is a real good procratonator.  I finally said enough is enough, Thanksgiving is coming up and we need to get this baby up.  So together we managed to swing from the ceiling fixture, while balancing on the ladder without any casualties.  Well done partener, I knew we could do it!

Hubby in action
Here it is finished and up.  I still want to get some new fabric shades in perhaps a bell shape to give it more of a country-cottagey feel to it.

No comments: